Every year, my new year resolution is the always the same : “To be happier than I was last year”. I absolutely love the feeling of being happy and I plan on doing my best to keep that feeling going whenever I can. I constantly get people asking me “what is my secret to happiness?”. The truth is I am not always happy. Like most people, I have many moments when I don’t feel so joyous. Many moments when all I want to do is crawl up in bed and cry my eyes off. But if there is one thing I have learned in life is that “Happiness is a choice and not a chase“. This means that no one or no thing can make us happy except ourselves. The secret to happiness is that happiness is an inside job. We all have the power to choose and create our own happiness. Have you ever wondered why when you buy that bag or you get that promotion you thought would make you happy, after the initial excitement wears off, you feel like nothing has really changed in your life? Well that’s because nothing has changed about the way you feel about yourself. I have learned that happiness is boiled down to self love and care.
Here are 7 things I do every day or on a regular basis to create my own happiness:
1) Write a gratitude list daily: This was something I learned from Oprah and has worked wonders in my life this past year and a half. At the end of every single day, before going to bed, I write down at at least 5 things I am grateful for each day. But most days, I find myself writing up to ten things that I am grateful for. It’s amazing that even when you have a bad day, how many great things you have to still be grateful for. Writing a daily gratitude list always centers me and makes me realize just how wonderful life is no matter what I am going through.
2) Send and read love notes to yourself:
This is something I just started incorporating in my daily routine after buying Kris Carr’s Love Notes
as a my birthday present to myself. This deck of love notes totally rocks. I have a deck at home and work, just so that I could read these uplifting love notes to myself whenever and wherever. I have to say, these cards have been such great happiness boasters. And last week, I stumbled upon this amazing blogger Kajal Pandey
who recommends writing love letters to yourself for 30 days. Wow, isn’t that genius? I plan on incorporating her suggestion in 2016.
3) Start and end your day with I AM affirmations
: Two books I read last year Joel Osteen’s The Power Of I Am
and Wayne Dyer’s Wishes Fulfilled
both discussed the power of I AM affirmations. An I AM affirmation is simply putting I AM in front of a positive declaration. I created a running list of about sixty I AM affirmations for myself which I read to myself in front of a mirror every morning and every night. Here are a couple of my I AM affirmations :
a. I am blessed
b. I am successful
c. I am courageous
d. I am talented
e. I am creative.
These affirmations have raised my happiness vibration to another level.
4) Plan and schedule your day the night before
: This is something I learned from the lovely Marie Forleo
and this productivity technique has completely transformed my life. Every night before I go to bed, I get out my calendar and plan the next day. I start by scheduling the important things first (my non-negotiables) which for me are things that nourish me and contribute to my personal goals, happiness and success. If I have space remaining on my calendar, then I schedule the other things. Thanks to this technique, I don’t find myself wasting time on things that aren’t important to me or bring me joy. I even schedule time to check mail, which is only two hours a day.
5) Only do things that you love : Yes, life is just too short to do things that you don’t love. This means you’d have to say “no” a whole lot. This is a really hard one, as many of us are people pleasers. But the more you make yourself a priority, the easier it becomes. Making your happiness a priority is not selfish but the selfless thing to do. The more you make your happiness a priority, the less resentful you will feel towards others. This only makes it easier for you to truly give to others with a pure heart. So start living your life today. Do that thing you have always wanted to do. Learn a skill, discover new places, start a new career, just do that thing. There is no time like the present.
6) Don’t judge yourself or others: This is a big one for me. We don’t realize how much we judge ourselves every single day until you start observing your thoughts and hearing what you say to yourself. But what has helped me from judging myself is realizing that no matter what I did, I did the best I could with the information I had at the time. As Maya Angelou said “When you know better, you do better“. I apply this philosophy not only to myself but to others, and it has increased my happiness level.
7) Cry whenever you want to cry
: Anyone who knows me knows I am a great crier. What can I say, I am emotional and I love it :). Personally, I always find crying very therapeutic. Crying for me is a release of tension and I always feel much better after a good cry. It prevents me from bottling up my feelings which can be very dangerous. Growing up, I was often told not to cry in my household but as I grew up, I rebelled and continue to cry which had been amazing for me. Believe it or not, crying is my secret weapon to a happy life. Happy girls do cry
What things to you do to create your own happiness?
Enjoy life joyously & deliciously,